low road/high road

(In the interest of keeping this blog relevant, as I disclaimed when I made the original announcement, I no longer have a girlfriend. No one deadening the echoed warnings of my wisdom. No one begging for whatever I was selflessly predisposed to giving. This is not an entry of spite. This is not an entry that I'll be linking on her Facebook page. This entry will not come with oblique "look at my blog" text message. Should she read this, her line of sight may be the underside of my nose, but I am on an even keel. I am writing this entry for me.

That's not to say I haven't felt my fair share of pain and suffering. I'm sure we both have. Something as caustic as the three months we were artificially attached the other's abdomen could not end quietly. That doesn't separate either of us from the chaff of our peers. But I feel more at peace with my own abilities for attempting to overcome heartache. It's feeling less like foreshadowing and more and more like a dully realized lesson. The choice will always be in my perspective. Everyone has their own and the free will to change it whenever they please. I choose to look at hardships as obstacles I can overcome. I don't always know the way, and finding one becomes a challenge rather than an unbearable task. Writing a blog entry is my catharsis. Let me tell you, it's not my only one.)

A mantra I've adopted recently is "look at the low road; take the high road". There's a lot of insight to be gained from considering all of the evil, spiteful, selfish, uncaring things that are possible when someone forces change on you. Often we want to cause pain to those who caused pain on us, but anger is nothing worth holding onto. "Fighting fire with fire", as they say. When you consider the lowest routes you could take, you recognize them for what they are: misguided attempts to improve your situation. With any bad idea comes a good one, and when you feel what would be the wrong decision, the right one becomes clearer. Any energy, positive or negative, will flow through you. Let it change you, and through your actions make it a better energy. Who doesn't want to make their world better? Who doesn't want to make themselves better? That potential is in us all the time. Utilizing it is not always easy, but it is not impossible.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment