album review: Bonfires on the Heath

There is a perfect Autumnal album.

Summer ended quickly this year. One holiday weekend and the air was cold, and called me to sweaters and my corduroy sport coat. This air has always felt like home, how it bites lightly on my cheeks when I go out walking. How I love to go out walking.
 
 
 
 
I have only listened to this album once (and now again as I type this.) When I discovered The Clientele earlier this year, a quick browse of their discography on Wikipedia enlightened me to this album, and the quote from an Allmusic review ("the most perfect, autumnal, English pop record imaginable.") had me queuing it into listening position for when the season struck. The swirling assortment of instruments felt at home among the leave littered streets of my hometown. When the moon peeked through clouds as I set out to the album's opener, "I Wonder Who We Are", I was at peace.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment