movie review: Enter The Void

I saw this movie last weekend at the Burton Theater in Detroit. It was at the end of a long day at work followed by my first evening of Christmas shopping. My roommate and his girlfriend agreed to go with me, and we met up a little beforehand at the Traffic Jam for a drink, but the line for a table was practically out the door and not a seat was to be found at the bar. Instead, we decided to head over early and make sure we had great seats. As we talked over popcorn and sodas before the movie started, I was completely unaware that I was about the spend the next two hours absolutely engrossed in a film.

One of my favorite parts of the movie was the opening credits. Attention-grabbing as hell, it is perfect preparation for the engaging experience about to unfold. Simultaneously a return to the traditional form of listing everyone involved with the picture beforehand and also the most modern and stylistic credits I've ever seen. Absolutely brilliant:



The plot itself is much better seen on screen than described. I'll just say that I was happy when I read an interview with the director where he said the second "half" of the movie is supposed to be interpreted as a drug-induced hallucination as opposed to an actual occurrence within the story. For as long as this movie drags on, I have never been so engrossed by a film. It kept me guessing the entire time through. In a good way.
 

1 comment:

  1. It took me a while to actually appreciate this film. But I don't think I would watch it again. Maybe the first half.

    ReplyDelete