album review: Pinkerton

Weezer has always been one of those bands I don't have a problem with, but never listen to. In high school I remember hearing "Hash Pipe" and thinking, "Oh yeah, these are those guys that did that song about the sweater that they play on 89X." Since then I've developed my musical tastes outside of alternative radio hits, and consequently hear even less of Weezer in my everyday life. The other day an editor I was working with put on "Say it Ain't So" and found myself enjoying it. A quick Wikipedia search of their discography enlightened me to the long hiatus before releasing the so-called "Green Album" which had come out when I first heard of them. Five years prior, they had released the album Pinkerton whose name seemed to carry some significance, though I didn't recognize any of the songs it contained. Some further research into the album's history intrigued me, particularly its original concept as a space-rock-opera and for being darker in tone than their material I was familiar with.

So, I downloaded Pinkerton while stuck working late on a Friday. In between busy times I tried to play it on my Macbook, but the tiny speakers weren't doing the complex sound of the album justice. After getting home after 8:00 and watching some Curb Your Enthusiasm with a glass of wine I decided to go for a walk and give it a decent listen.

The opening track "Tired of Sex" has some great over-driven keyboards, and there is some real tangible passion when Rivers sends his voice into a scream. Subsequent tracks have a similar angsty, emo rock edge to them, albeit nothing to the degree of Cap'n Jazz, Braid or Texas is the Reason. Trying not to compare them to their mid-nineties contemporaries, I was impressed with this album. Maybe a track or two is going to make it into regular rotation on my stereo, but I'm not prepared to call myself a Weezer fan. Some of the lyrics are a little too predictable and some of the emotion seems dry and forced. Still, there's no denying how awesome the cover art is. With my eye on finally buying a turntable, maybe I'll pick up the vinyl - but probably not for the high price it's going to demand.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment